Monday, November 7, 2011

Remembrance Day 2010



Last year for Remembrance Day, I accompanied my grandma to the Stonewall Legion for their ceremony. We arrived at like 10 a.m. and it was already packed. My grandma and a couple of her friends commented that the ceremony had been growing much bigger of the past couple years and soon it would have to change locations to the new Stonewall arena.
I'm headed back this year to check this out. I'm going a half hour earlier, in accordance with my grandma and her friends' suggestions. Apparently everyone around town is saying to get there over an hour and a half early or you won't get in.
This year, our plan is to head there at 9:30 a.m.. A whole HOUR AND A HALF before anything starts. I have plans to do a follow up interview with one the veterans I spoke with last year. I had written an article about Private Alan Sheldon. Sheldon told me about the objects he found throughout his tour through Europe, including an unharmed plate he uncovered in the rubble of a demolished castle. He also told me about the 408 letters he sent back and forth with his girlfriend at the time.
I wish that I would have asked more questions about the letters and written an article about that aspect of the time he spent overseas. And I think that's what I'm going to do this year. I'm going to revisit Sheldon's story and dig deeper into his letter exchange.
To quote SV: "This is where the real story is. Start writing the movie script now and call it 408."
This has potential to be a good story.

No comments:

Post a Comment